Festive traditions and food may leave humans with a feeling of satisfaction, however for pets it can have completely the opposite effect.
For pet owners, it may be difficult not to give your left over Christmas dinner to your pet. However, beware that turkey and chicken bones are extremely difficult for your pets to digest, as the bone is fairly weak and can break up into sharp splinters. Whilst some dogs are fed the barf diet and are used to it, it is always best to check any leftovers you maybe treating you dog to on Christmas Day for small bones as they may catch in the throat. Dont forget to check for the string that ties the turkeys legs together too!
Apart from bones being a hazard, your innocent looking leftovers may also contain onion, garlic and chives, which may create stomach irritation in cats. Although this is less likely within dogs, they are still susceptible to irritation if enough is consumed. Grapes, raisins and chocolate can be toxic to cats and dogs if fed in excess. Be careful if feeding Christmas cake not to overdo it. Rabbits and human food dont always mix too so only feed carrots and lettuce in moderation. Give the rest to Rudolph to reward him for his hard work!
Mistletoe is very poisonous to cats, dogs, horses and cattle. Symptoms of mistletoe toxicity include diarrhoea, vomiting in cats and dogs and colic in horses. Holly and Poinsettias can also cause similar effects in cats and dogs. All plants grown from a bulb should not be being given to your rabbit.
Christmas based decorations like tinsel, string or ribbon can cause gut trauma within your pets. So take the safe route and keep your decorations well out of reach when youve finished having a play.
Please contact the surgery for further advice.